Creating a Basic D2L COurse
Even if you have never used D2L before, these instructions will help you post your syllabus and other course documents, email your students, collect student work and hold a class discussion. If you are already familiar with D2L, they may serve as a reminder.
Be sure to explore this site and sign up for Innovation Center workshops to learn even more!
Logging into Desire2Learn
- To access D2L, click on the link on the Cheyney homepage or open https://cheyney.desire2learn.com/
- Login in with your ESS username and password.
- Once you have logged in, you will see your courses listed on the homepage under My Courses. To access a course, click on the course title.
Sending Email with Classlist
The Classlist tools is where you will email some or all of your students.
- To access the Classlist tool, click on Classlist in the gray navigation bar.
- Click on Email at the top of the screen.
- You will see a list of your students. Click on Send Email at the bottom of the screen.
- An email window will open with your students' addresses in the BCC field. Type your email address in the To field.
- Compose your email and click Send.
Adding a Syllabus and Course Materials in Content
The Content tool is where you will post your syllabus and all other course material.
- To access the Content tool, click on Content in the gray navigation bar.
- Click on “Add a module” on the left, under Table of Contents. You will need type a title here to create a module before you can create or upload content.
- Upload a file by selecting it on your computer and dragging it into the Drag and Drop box on the right of your screen.
Holding Class Discussions with Discussions
The Discussions tool is where you may choose to hold virtual discussions with your students.
- To access the Discussions tool, click on Discussions in the gray navigation bar.
- Click on the New Forum button.
- Enter a title for your Forum, such as “Week One Discussions.”
- Click Save and Add Topic. The topic is the place where your students will post their responses.
- Enter a title for your topic and add directions.
- Click Save.
Collecting Student Assignments in Dropbox
The Dropbox tool allows your students to submit files to you electronically.
- To access the Dropbox tool click on Dropbox on the gray navigation bar.
- Click the New Folder button to create a folder.
- Next, type in a name in the Name field.
- If you want to classify your folders by category, click add category to create one and fill in the blanks.
- If you have a D2L Gradebook set up, you can link grades from the Dropbox to the gradebook. (For help setting up a gradebook, email me for an appointment.)
- Type any instructions in Custom Instructions.
- Click Submit to save your folder and return to the Dropbox area.