council of trustees
Powers and Duties of Councils of Trustees: Act 188, Section 20-2009-A
In accordance with the rules and regulations adopted by the board, the council of each institution shall have the power and its duty shall be:
- To make recommendations to the chancellor for the appointment, retention, or dismissal of the president following consultation with students, faculty, and alumni.
- To assist the president in developing proper relations and understanding between the institution and its programs and the public, in order to serve the interests and needs of both.
- To review and approve the recommendations of the president as to standards for the admission, discipline, and expulsion of students.
- To review and approve the recommendations of the president pertaining to policies and procedures governing the use of institutional facilities and property.
- To approve schools and academic programs.
- To review and approve the recommendations of the president pertaining to annual operating and capital budget requirements for forwarding to the board.
- To review and approve charges for room and board and other fees except student activity fees.
- To conduct an annual physical inspection of facilities and make recommendations regarding maintenance and construction to the board.
- To review and approve all contracts and purchases negotiated or awarded by the president with or without competitive bidding and all contracts for consultative services entered by the president.
- To represent the institution at official functions of the commonwealth.
- To take such other action as may be necessary to effectuate the powers and duties herein delegated.
- In accordance with the evaluation procedure established by the board, each council shall conduct an evaluation of the president and forward the results of that evaluation with recommendation to the chancellor for submission to the board.
CU Addendum for Student Trustee
- Appointed yearly by chair of the Council of Trustees to serve on trustee committees and other committees where appropriate
- Serves on the Student Congress Executive Board as ex-officio
- Attends quarterly meetings of the Council of Trustees
- Participates in Commencement ceremonies and other official functions of the university
- Chairs the search committee for the student trustee