Career Development Benefits
Internships, Co-ops & Field Experience:
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania supports and encourages students to participate in at least one Internship/Co-op/Field Experience opportunity before graduating.
The Center for Career & Professional Development, (CCPD) supports the Academic, Personal and Professional development of Cheyney students through a 5-Point Career Development Model.
The Internship/Co-op/Field Experience program fulfills the 4th component of our model which is to encourage all students to have at least one experiential opportunity before graduation.
This program represents a strong collaboration between Faculty, Experience Providers and the Center for Career & Professional Development.
Why Do Internships/Co-ops/Field Experience?
Internships/Co-Ops/Field Experiences provide real opportunities for Cheyney students to explore and pursue careers that match their academic, personal and long term career interests.
The benefits of completing Internships/Co-Ops/Field Experiences include:
- Development of a strong sense of individual responsibility for achieving goals.
- Career exploration through jobs in a variety of professional fields.
- Chance to develop industry-specific abilities while completing your college degree.
- Building professional networking contacts and mentoring relationships early.
- Helping students to become viable experienced job applicants post graduation.
- Employment offers before graduation. In fact, many employers consider internship experience in the hiring process, and often look to their own interns as the best potential candidates for full-time positions.
Will I get paid?
Internships/Co-Ops/Field Experiences may be paid or unpaid.
Will I get academic credit?
NOT all Internships/Co-ops/Field Experiences will offer the opportunity for students to gain academic credit. Whether or not a program provides credit, students are still encouraged to seek Internships/Co-ops/Field Experiences in preparation for employment and/or graduate schools.
Read the guidelines for Internships/Co-ops/Field Experiences WITHOUT academic credit.
How can I get academic credit?
If you seek to gain academic credit for your Internships/Co-ops/Field Experiences please download, read and action the following documents:
Guidelines for Internships/Co-ops/Field Experiences with academic credit
Study Abroad Programs:
Why should I consider participating in a study abroad program?
Links to study abroad programs.
Graduate & Professional Schools:
Are you ready for a graduate or professional school?
Do your homework before applying.