Principal Certification (K-12)
Cheyney-West Chester University Educational Leadership Collaborative
The program is designed to prepare educators to serve as elementary, middle or secondary school principals. The program will further delineate the conceptual, technical and human skills deemed necessary in the preparation of competent educational administrators. The Principal Certification program has 33 credit hours of PDE requirements for obtaining the K-12 Principal Certificate.
The curriculum for the Principal Certification program is aligned with state and national professional standards. The program will meet on both Cheyney and West Chester University campuses.
Requirements for the Principal Certification Program:
A person prepared as a school administrator may be eligible for certification as a K-12 Principal provided that the applicant:
- Has completed an approved program of graduate study preparing him/her to direct, operate, supervise, and administer the organizational and general educational activities of a school. (Preparation completed out-of-state must meet Pennsylvania standards for certification).
- Is recommended for certification as a principal by the authorized certification officer of the institution where such education was obtained, or holds a comparable certificate from another state (for out-of-state graduates only).
- Provided verification of the completion of five years of satisfactory professional school experience on a state-issued certificate appropriate for the assignment.
- Has provided evidence of satisfactory achievement on assessments prescribed by the Department under Section 49.18(a).
- Has met all other requirements provided by law.
Review the required curriculum sheet below.
Download Fall 2012 Curriculum Requirements