Applying for Financial Aid
The Financial Aid Staff at Cheyney University understands the need for additional support and is dedicated to assisting students through the financial aid process. We have created for your convenience additional consumer information to assist you in understanding eligibility requirements and completing the financial aid process on-line at the official federal student aid website developed by the U.S. Department of Education: www.fafsa.ed.gov
If you have questions regarding the financial aid process please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (610) 399-2302 for FREE assistance Monday through Friday from 8:30am - 5:00pm.
The FAFSA School Code for Cheyney University is 003317
You must be admitted to Cheyney University to receive an estimated financial aid award offer. You may apply for financial aid before you are admitted, but the financial aid staff cannot determine your financial aid eligibility until you have completed the admission process.
In order to be considered for eligibility for financial assistance, you must fulfill the following requirements:
1. You must have a high school diploma or its equivalent (GED or home school completion meeting state requirements)
2. You must be a U.S. Citizen or an eligible non citizen
3. You must have a valid social security number
4. You must register for selective service if you are male between the ages of 18 - 25
5. You must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program
6. You must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for Direct Loan Program funds
7. You must maintain satisfactory academic progress at Cheyney University
8. You must sign the statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which states:
- You are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant
- You will use all federal student aid for educational purposes only
Keep your Financial Aid Information Organized
• Once you complete your FAFSA the Department of Education will process your information and send you a summary of the data you provided on your application on a document called a SAR or Student Aid Report. You will receive this document on-line via email if you applied on-line for financial aid or through the U.S. postal service if you applied using the paper application. Check your SAR for accuracy by reading and satisfying any comments listed on the document to ensure your application for financial aid is complete.
• Cheyney University will notify you of any additional documentation that may be needed to complete your request for financial assistance. Keep a record of all documents submitted to financial aid for your personal records. Make sure your name and your student id is written on all documents submitted to the financial aid office.
• Check the status of your financial aid using Net Partner
How is Financial Need Determined by the Financial Aid Administrator?
The data that you provided to the Department of Education on your FAFSA is analyzed through a calculation developed by the federal government. This calculation determines your expected family contribution (EFC). The financial aid administrator will use the EFC to determine your eligibility for financial assistance. The following is the calculation used to determine your financial need at Cheyney University:
COA (Cost of Attendance)
Other Resources (scholarships, tuition waivers)
If your EFC and other resources is less than the Cost of Attendance, the financial aid administrators at Cheyney University will make every effort to meet that need by including grants, federal work study (if available), subsidized loan funds within your award package. We encourage all students to apply early to take advantage of all financial aid programs offered at Cheyney University.
FAFSA: (800) 4FEDAID
PHEAA: (800) 692-7392