director of library
The Director of the Leslie Pinkney Hill Library reports to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Affairs and is responsible for the leadership and overall management of the library, its collection (print, electronic, media) and related services. The Director is responsible for the planning, budget, and staffing in support of the academic, instructional and information needs of faculty, students, and staff.
The Director of the Library works to develop and revise Library policies and procedures; oversee and implement strategic planning of staffing and budgets; and to plan and execute technology, facilities and other projects for the library. This requires close coordination, collaboration and consultation with the Library faculty on a daily basis. The Director of the Library supervises library staff, determines staff assignments and workflow in accordance with collective bargaining agreements, manages the search and hiring process for staff, and oversees staff development programs. The manager ensures that processes are in place to provide adequate and appropriate hiring, training, and mentoring of student employees in all areas of the library. This position is classified as a Manager 180 with full university benefits.
DUTIES & ASSIGNMENTS:
- Consult with department chair, faculty, and others to determine library resources and service needs of academic programs and departments
- Assures overall quality of library resources and that resources meet the needs of all University programs through ongoing assessment of the existing collection (print, electronic, media) and identification of new resources.
- Develop programs and policies in support of the academic program overall and in key areas such as information literacy, student and faculty research, and technology
- Provides guidance and counsel on information and researches policy including copyright and intellectual property to the university community.
- Ensures that the provision of and access to library services and related support for faculty and students teaching or enrolled on-campus, online, and off-campus teaching location(s).
- In consultation with the library faculty and department chair, the Director of the Library addresses staffing and operational needs, implements projects, and coordinates staff assignments.
- Develops policies and procedures for staffing processes.
- Manages and coordinates the search and hiring process for new library employees including developing job descriptions.
- Supervise, lead, and evaluate department chair, library faculty, library support staff, and student workers.
- Develops and manages annual operating budget. With the oversight of the Provost/VP for Academic and Student Affairs and Chief Business Officer, prepares an annual budget request for the Keystone Library Network budget for shared services.
- Develop an ongoing five-year technology plan (to include related budget) for the library in consultation with IT.
- Consult with Chief Business Officer to coordinate maintenance of and modifications to the Library building to include management of Library facilities in terms of facility planning and usage, security, appearance, maintenance, and housekeeping.
- Represent the University at System (PASSHE), State, regional and national and meetings and conferences
- Participate in leadership positions in appropriate professional associations
Education, Training, and/or Experience:
A master’s degree in Library Science or related field and 3 years of professional experience in an academic library.
How to Apply:
Please submit via email (employment@Cheyney.edu) or fax (610 399 2283) your:
- Resume and a cover letter detailing your skills and abilities to perform effectively in this role.
1. Candidates invited for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts at or before interviews.
2. Prior to a final offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification and criminal background check per Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education policy.