4th Biennial FMM Fashion Entrepreneurship Expo—Coming May 1st
April 24, 2014
Dr. Vanessa Brantley, Program Coordinator for the Fashion Merchandising and Management [FMM] Program, recently announced it is time for the 4th Biennial FMM Fashion Entrepreneurship Expo. Happily, she proclaimed, "On behalf of the FMM Program at Cheyney University of PA, I would like to invite the entire campus to the 4th Biennial FMM Fashion Entrepreneurship Expo on Thursday, May 1st from 4:00-5:15 pm on the 2nd floor of Harris Turner, room 218. Your participation is what makes the capstone event for the Fashion Merchandising and Management majors so exciting!"
The Expo is a one-of-kind competition for the Best Original Retail Store Concept. This year's winners will split more than $900 in prizes. Expo-goers will get a chance to visit the creative booths representing the students’ ideas for fashion stores with excellent service and apparel, and vote for their favorite.
Along with their retail store concepts, the following FMM entrepreneurs will be featured:
- Shakia Canty (Cataliya)-a women’s apparel store with the tagline, “Perfect for Paradise”
- Kamia Jackson (Black Book New York)-a women’s apparel store with the tagline, “Are you on the Black Book New York List?”
- Samuel Prather (Renee)-a store for the plus-sized woman with the tagline, “Style for women with curves”
- Cori Ray (Jetsetter)-a luxury service and store with the tagline, “Shopping is a Lifestyle”
- Janae Silver (2080)-a men’s apparel store with the tagline, “Invest in the Best”
The showcase is made possible with help from FMM majors: Jill Worrell (Cataliya), Janae Silver (Black Book New York), Nahum Purdie (Renee), Asiah Walker (Jetsetter) and Somanie Blyden (2080).
Participating judges are from Burlington Stores, Macy’s, Old Navy (represented by FMM Alum Vincent King), PNC Bank, PNK Elephant (represented by FMM Alum Shaun Guess) and Sam’s Club. Most companies will present monetary and gift awards. Others judges will include photographer Dimitra Minter, plus hair and fashion stylist, Jamina Whitehead.
Dr. Brantley’s VIP guests will have an opportunity to win a $50 Wawa card. The FMM student entrepreneurs will also have giveaways for their VIP guests. Don’t forget to vote for the Best Original Retail Store Concept on May 1st. Come and join the fun!