The African American Museum in Philadelphia (AAMP) Graduate Fellowship in Museum Practice Program - Deadline October 15, 2011
August 12, 2011
The African American Museum in Philadelphia (AAMP) is offering a year-long fellowship for current students or recent graduates of graduate programs in African American Studies, History or Humanities. The Graduate Fellowship in Museum Practice program is geared to provide students with a comprehensive practicum in professional museum work with exposure to Collections Management, Museum Education, Exhibitions, Development, and Visitor Services. At the conclusion of the year-long fellowship, each graduate fellow will have experienced the following:
- working in the Collections, Education, Exhibit, and Visitor Services departments of a mid-size museum (AAMP);
- developing an independent project utilizing the resources of AAMP’s collections;
- performing field assessments at small African American museums and collecting institutions in the Philadelphia region; and,
- supporting the delivery of four seminars geared to small museums/collecting institutions.
The fellowship experience will be enriched through attendance at three major conferences and visits to other museums and cultural institutions. Successful applicants will work at AAMP from January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012. The annual stipend for this fellowship will be $25,000.
All applicants must:
- Be currently enrolled or hold a recent graduate degree in African American studies. Students with degrees other than African American Studies must have a demonstrated interest in African American History or Culture.
- Have a demonstrated interest in working in museums or archives. (This interest can be demonstrated through academic coursework, volunteer or work experience, and/or through a personal statement in application essay).
- Be able to work 25-30 hours per week.
- Be available to travel for conferences and site visits throughout the year.
To apply for the AAMP Fellowship in Museum Practice, applicants must submit:
- A current resume/vitae reflecting education, work and relevant volunteer experience;
- At least one letter of recommendation from an academic advisor; and
- A one page personal statement/essay articulating how the Fellowship in Museum Practice will support and enhance their envisioned career path.
All application materials must be submitted by 10/15/11
Inquiries and applications should for submitted to:
Conservator and Curator of Collections
African American Museum in Philadelphia
701 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106