Wolves Take Battle of the Firsts

September 5, 2012

For the second time in as many years, Cheyney defeated Lincoln to start the football season.  This year the Wolves prevailed 34-21 spoiling the opening of the new on-campus stadium at Lincoln. 

Just like last year, the Wolves jumped out on top, scoring the game’s first 27 points.  The Wolves used their ball control option offense and played stellar defense for most of the contest.  The Wolves posted touchdowns on their first two possessions.  Sophomore running back Justin Watkins capped off a 73 yard drive with an 8 yard rush around end for his first collegiate touchdown and the first points scored in the new Lincoln University Stadium. 

After the Wolves Khalil Neal forced a fumble on the Lions first possession, Jay Journigan found the back of the end-zone on an off-tackle run of three yards. 

With the second quarter winding down, the Wolves were forced to punt.  Senior Tyler Wilkinson launched a 45 yard kick that was misplayed by Lincoln and recovered by Shannon Burch on the Lions 18 yard line.  After two consecutive rushes of nine yards by Marcus Jones, the Wolves found themselves up 20-0, as the PAT failed, going into the locker-room.   Jones ended the day with 85 yards on 21 carries.

“This was a great win for our team and school,” stated second-year Cheyney Head Coach Ken Lockard.  “Both teams played with a lot of emotion and you kind of expect that in a rivalry game.  It probably accounted for the inordinate amount of penalties that were called.” The Wolves and Lions were whistled for a combined 39 penalties for 393 yards. 

The Wolves defense forced an impressive five turnovers and had five sacks.  Shannon Burch and Isaiah Fleming were each credited with eight tackles, a fumble recovery, and a quarterback hurry.  Burch also had an interception and a pass break-up.  Thomas Stewart also had a strong game on the defensive side.  The linebacker had seven tackles, a sack of 10 yards and an interception return of 45 yards.  The offense rushed for 207 yards.
The Wolves posted another touchdown early in the third quarter.  Lincoln took the second half kick-off and marched down to the Cheyney one yard line but fumbled trying to cross the goal line.  Tristan Dillon McCallum scooped up the ball and raced 99 yards down the sideline giving the Wolves a 27-0 lead. 

Lincoln got on the scoreboard late in the third quarter after Tyahir Mitchell picked up a Blaze Wasserleben fumble on the 32 yard line and scampered 68 yards for Lincoln’s first points in the new stadium.   Wasserleben, a first year senior quarterback, rushed for 72 yards on 12 carries and completed 3-6 passes for 22 yards. 

Lincoln did not go away without a fight.  The Lions posted two fourth quarter touchdowns, sandwiched around a Khalil Neal 62 yard fumble recovery for a touchdown, to make the final score 34-21.