ALCOHOL AND DRUG POLICY
The Laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and University policy in regard to the use of alcoholic beverages and drugs (including illegal or controlled substances) shall apply to all residents and their guests within the residence halls or on adjacent grounds of the residence halls. In Pennsylvania, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to purchase, possess or consume alcohol. It is also illegal for anyone to use or possess controlled drugs. At Cheyney University, it is illegal for any student, regardless of age, to possess or consume alcohol on campus or to return to campus under the influence.
Housing Operations and Public Safety staff members will enforce the State law and rules of the University as follows:
· Cheyney University and its surrounding properties are dry campuses. Meaning that alcohol is not permitted regardless of the age of the student and guests.
· A member of Housing Operations may enter a student’s room for visual inspection when there is reasonable suspicion of a rule violation. Students can be cited by Public Safety for violation of the Alcohol Policy.
· Possession of alcohol or drugs will result in disciplinary action and may result in criminal action.
· Any student responsible for organizing or providing a location for a gathering where alcohol is served, shall be referred for disciplinary and possible criminal action. Any student in attendance where alcohol is served, whether they have been consuming or not, shall be referred for disciplinary action.
· Any person responsible for having a keg of beer or like quantity of alcohol in a housing facility shall be subject to loss of housing or suspension from the University.
· Any student responsible for having drugs, drug paraphernalia or furnishing drugs may be subject to loss of housing or suspension from the University.
· Since alcohol is not allowed on our campus, collections or displays of alcohol containers of any sort are prohibited. Empty alcohol containers, even for decorative or sentimental reasons, are not allowed.